Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Cooking... What's that?

Since I started this new job, I haven't really had much chance to cook--- AT ALL. Not sure I even really remember how. It doesn't really matter at this point. I need to learn a whole new way to cook. I need make-aheads and crock pot recipes. For some odd reason, I found myself equipped with crock pot liners today so I decided to give fajitas a try in the crockpot. We'll see how that goes! If it goes over well, maybe I can make 2 meals out of it, traditional fajitas and maybe fajita meat over rice? Who knows, but I know I miss cooking for my girls. I'm not if most things convert over to crock pot but I am going to be giving it a try. Most likely starting next month. I really can't stand having to pick up something all the time or just having sandwiches. Picking up something from the grocery deli for lunch is completely different. But for dinner, I want my girls to have a meal that includes a veggie and isn't between 2 pieces of bread. That's how we used to work it out. They'd have yogurt, oatmeal or cereal for breakfast, then for lunch it would be some kind of sandwich. And for dinner it would be a meat and 2 veggies. Now I don't even know what they get for dinner. I am long gone at work by then.

The hardest part to doing all make aheads and crock pot recipes and casseroles is the time needed to plan ahead. I really don't have that kind of time.  Any recipes or ideas that anyone would like to put in comments or email please feel free to do so. I need 30 days worth of it! And hopefully a lot of leftovers can be made into another recipe. Here is one other problem we have--- Onions (onion powder, and green onions are acceptable), and mushrooms have not and will not find their way into our stomach. It seems to be this way across the board with us. All 4 of us refused to add these to our food. Which makes it really hard because most things call for cream of mushroom soup. Onion soup we will use but that's the extent of it. I guess we're all picky eaters. A lot of times, I am just too tired to bother with cooking, but we'll see. Crock pot stuff should not be too hard at all. As for make-aheads, well... I don't really know how that works. Advice would be helpful. :) I won't publish your comment if you don't want me to!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You like cooking for your girls, but what about your husband...sheesh!

Queen Bug said...

YOU just like sandwiches.

Anonymous said...

MayBE, but that doesn't mean I don't like a wife cooked meal every once and awhile.

:-)

Anonymous said...

Dinner was good....

...of course I wrapped it up in tortilla wraps.

Bug thinks it's burning her tongue...hahaha

Melissa said...

I wish I could plan meals ahead, but I'm horrible at it. I buy just what ever meat is on sale, and try to work around it.

Queen Bug said...

Yeah, I need to find away to make it less spicy. Paying attention when putting in red pepper would be a first step but I liked it spicy and the recipe was "zippy" fajitas.

Melissa, that's how I am. I buy what is on sale but I've accumulated a collection in the freezer thanks to my mom so I'm going to start cooking with last weeks meat, and planning with this weeks sales. Only problem is I'm just not that organized! Me + organization = epic fail.

Cassandra said...

I hope you all are doing well. Rod and I are the same way. We both love onions but we won't eat mushrooms. I substitute cream of mushroom soup with cream of potato or cream of chicken. I need to get better at making things in the crockpot as well. One recipe is Salsa Chicken. You just stick chicken in the crockpot and pour salsa over it. You can just have the chicken or you can shred it for tacos, enchiladas, etc. later. I'm sure you could add some vegetables, I just have never tried :)

 

© 2010 The Dysfunction of Motherhood. Powered by Blogger
Design by Sassy Girls Design