Thursday, October 21, 2010

Need Inspiration?

Sometimes it's hard to go through life everyday. Trials.... hardships.... sicknesses. Sometimes, we just want to wave the white flag at life. Say, "Life, you win." I get there. In fact I am there on a weekly basis. But I try to remind myself, there is always something around the corner. There will always be ways to over come what is going on in life right now.

I was recently reminded of a story that touched my heart a long time ago. Some people may remember this father-son team. The back ground story is that Dick Hoyt had a son, 1962, I believe. At birth the cord was wrapped around his neck and they were told he would be a vegetable (Cerebral Palsy) and should be institutionalized. His parents didn't want to believe that. They didn't do it. They raised him like they would any normal healthy child. They even had a computer built so he could communicate. They thought his first words would be "hi, mom" or "hi, dad" but instead it was "Go Bruins!" He likes hockey, a lot. One day, he asked his dad if he'd run a 5 mile benefit marathon for him to help a paralyzed hockey player. His dad said yes. They finished second to last, and Rick then told his father he didn't feel disabled while they were running. Since then the Hoyt's have run, swan, and biked many a marathon. Dick, not even a runner... not even in shape felt that the smile on his son's face was worth it. It's a touching story.



Turn the volume up, females get the tissues out, and be inspired by this video. It may seem like the end of the world sometimes, but it isn't. Things get worse, things get better. I've read some pretty sad blogs lately. And I won't pretend that I haven't taken things for granted, lost my patience, been depressed or had a bad attitude towards things. In fact, I'll admit my brain is a mess, my life is a mess... mostly because my health is a mess. But watching this video... reminds me to take the time to think about my kids and forget about myself. Remember that they are my little humans to train, and that they're still too small to be perfect, that everyone is still too small to be perfect. Take time to  thank them for being kids, for being my kids, believing in fairy tales, and just being themselves. It's 4:07am, I am in pain.... I lost my medicine (some where in the house) and I am going to be dead tired tomorrow. But I'll go to sleep shortly, and be up shortly because I love my girls. I may not run marathons with them.... but I am running a marathon through life with them. I hope this story makes some of you feel a little better. It always makes me feel better when things aren't going right.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, for some reason I am JUST getting your blog entries in my feed. Strange. I wonder if blogger changed something?

Unknown said...

So how long did it take me to start crying....about 30 seconds! My God what a beautiful thing. Thanks so much for sharing that. That really is inspirational.

Veronica Lee said...

That was really beautiful, Queen Bug. Thank you so much for sharing this. I needed the inspiration.

Have a nice day!

Ken said...

Good attitude. I try to think that way too, but most of the time I feel like I'm sinking in quicksand.

 

© 2010 The Dysfunction of Motherhood. Powered by Blogger
Design by Sassy Girls Design